A red cross helicopter delivers food supplies to victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Mentawai Islands, West Sumatra province, November 2, 2010. Officials said the death toll from a tsunami that hit the remote western Mentawai islands on Monday is now at least 400. The tsunami was triggered on October 25 by a 7.5 magnitude quake.
WELLINGTON, KOMPAS.com – Three yachtsmen from New Zealand were missing after last week’s tsunami off Indonesia, their country’s foreign ministry said Wednesday.
The men were believed to be sailing to towards the tsunami-hit Mentawai island chain off Sumatra when the disaster which has so far claimed 431 lives struck on October 25, a ministry spokeswoman said.
She said the exact route of the men’s yacht was not known and it was possible they had been unable to get in contact with their families.
“Family have advised that typically the young men only make contact with family and friends while in port, which has tended to be every two to three weeks,” the spokeswoman said.
She said New Zealand embassy officials had contacted Indonesian search and rescue authorities in Padang about the missing trio.
Source : Click here